ICT Level 3 at Ursuline College
Level 3 Cambridge Extended Certificate in IT
The study of IT crosses over many different topics and themes so students are given opportunity to develop their own knowledge and understanding of key principles within this sector.
Students will explore the fundamentals of IT, the use of information on a global scale and issues around information security and how risks can be minimised. All of these themes will be deepened and broadened in different ways as learners’ progress through different units.
Five GCSE grades 9-4 or equivalent, including English Language and Mathematics.
For this qualification, learners must achieve five units, three mandatory units and two optional units.
Externally assessed mandatory unit examinations
Unit 1 – Fundamentals of IT
- Section A comprises of multiple choice questions
- Section B comprises short answer and extended response questions
Unit 2 – Global Information
- Section A comprises short answer and extended response questions based on a pre-released case study.
- Section B comprises short answer and extended response questions. These questions will not relate to the pre-released case study.
Unit 3 – Cyber Security
- Section A comprises short answer and extended response questions based on a pre-released case study. This will focus on either a personal or corporate perspective.
- Section B comprises of a short answer and extended response questions and will focus on the theme (i.e. personal or corporate) that is not covered in the pre-released case study.
Internally assessed units – 2 of the below will be completed
- Unit 8 – Project Management
- Unit 9 – Product Development
- Unit 11 – Systems analysis and design
- Unit 17 – Internet of Everything
Units 1 and 2 carry 25% weighting each of the overall grade. All other units carry a 16.6% weighting of the overall grade.
All units will be scored as Pass/ Merit/ Distinction with the exam board using these to present the overall grade achieved.
The qualification can be used for progression onto Higher Education courses. The qualification carries UCAS points which are awarded based on the grade achieved by the student.
The course also sets students up for the world of work, allowing them to develop skills and knowledge in IT which are desirable in many jobs in today’s society.
Trips, guest speakers/ lectures that come up during the period of study.
These vary from year-to-year.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.