German A level at Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School
Year 12: AS and A-Level
Aspects of German-speaking society
- the changing state of the family,
- the digital world
- youth culture: fashion and trends, music, television.
Artistic culture in the German-speaking world
- festivals and traditions,
- art and architecture
- cultural life in Berlin, past and present.
Year 13: A-Level only
Multiculturalism in German-speaking society
- immigration, integration and racism.
Aspects of political life in the German-speaking world
- Germany and the European Union,
- politics and youth,
- German reunification and its consequences.
To follow a programme of A-Level subjects, students must have a minimum of 5.5 GCSE points from at least six GCSEs, which must include English and Mathematics (at grade 5).
In order to study a subject at A-Level that has been studied at GCSE it is necessary to have at least a grade C (grade 5 if English) in that subject.
GCSE equivalence grades at C or above, from courses such as BTECs can only be
counted as one of the six grades required for entry to the Sixth Form. These will not be sufficient to study Mathematics or Science at AS Level.
All students must have a good record of conduct and be comfortable with the values and the ethos of the academy. All students will be interviewed and references sought for external candidates.
Progress from Year 12 to Year 13 is not automatic and is dependent upon a successful first year and a pass grade in the progression exams taken at the end of Year 12.
- 1 Listening, Reading and Writing: Written Exam: 1hr 45min: 45% of AS level
- 2 Writing (set text or film): Written Exam: 1hr 15min: 25% of AS level
- Non-exam Assessment: Speaking Exam: 12-14min: 30% of AS level
- 1 Listening, Reading and Writing: Written Exam: 2hr 20min: 50% of A level
- 2 Writing (2 set texts or 1 text and 1 film): Written Exam: 2hr: 20% of A level
- Non-exam Assessment: Speaking Exam: 21-23min: 30% of A level
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School directly.
Last updated date: 23 December 2016