Childcare & Education Apprenticeship at East Berkshire College
This qualification is designed for childcare practitioners working in the Early Years Foundation Stage in childcare settings.
It covers core mandatory units on
- Equality & Diversity
- Duty of Care
- Health & Safety
- Children & Young People's Development.
The Early Years Pathway explores these topics in greater depth along with Professional Practice in Early Years, Children's Learning and Development and a focus on Speech and Language Development.
A range of optional units will be chosen to meet the needs of the employer and the learner.
The Apprenticeship has 5 mandatory components
- The Diploma for Children and Young People's Workforce
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English, Mathematics and ICT
- Paediatric First Aid
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills incorporated throughout all other components
The Diploma for Children and Young People's Workforce
This consists of mandatory and optional units and combines knowledge and competence in the workplace. A total of 65 credits must be achieved.
Employment Rights & Responsibilities
Every apprentice is required to demonstrate that they know and understand areas such as the range of employer and employee statutory rights and responsibilities under employment law, health and safety and equality and diversity procedures and documentation for their organisation. This will be evidenced through a workbook.
Paediatric First Aid
This should be an approved 12hr Paediatric First Aid Certificate or the QCF Level 2 Award in Paediatric First Aid.
- An employer would be expected to train and support the learner and give them as much experience as necessary in the organisation to be competent in all of the mandatory and chosen optional units.
- The learner must have completed a Level 2 Childcare qualification or have a minimum of 1 year's working experience, plus the necessary exposure in the working environment to complete the qualification.
Learner will be assessed within the college as well in the workplace to ensure all the competencies are met.
Regular review meetings will take place with the learner, assessor and employer to support the achievement of the qualification.
Learners can progress to Early Years Foundation Degree
This qualification can lead to roles such as Room Leaders, manager or supervisor in day nurseries, children's centres or pre-schools Practitioners in nursery schools and nursery or reception classes in primary schools Registered childminders and nannies
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Berkshire College directly.