A Level English Literature - Block A @ The Leigh Academy at LAT16 Leigh
English Literature builds upon the skills developed at GCSE. Students learn to critically explore and analyse a range of texts, use theoretical approaches and consider the impact of historical and other contextual factors on texts. This a two year A Level course.
Section A – Love Through The Ages
- Pre-1900 Love Poetry
- The Great Gatsby (F Scott Fitzgerald)
- Othello (William Shakespeare)
Section B – The Modern World Since 1945
- The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
- A Streetcar Named Desire (Tennessee Williams)
- Skirrid Hill (Owen Sheers)
- 5+ A*-C (9-5) grades in GCSEs
- Grade 6 in English Literature and Language
- Completion of an entry task
You will be examined by final written examinations for 80% of the total marks but must complete one comparative essay as coursework, worth 20% of the total marks. This essay will compare The Importance Of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) and one other text of your choice.
This course will prepare you for an Undergraduate degree course at University.
Careers could include:
Emma Nicholls, KS5 English Coordinator of Learning
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.