Physics AS and A-level at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Penrith
- Particles and radiation-including antiparticles, photons and the quark model.
- Waves-including longitudinal and transverse waves, progressive and stationary waves, refraction, diffraction and interference.
- Mechanics and materials- including motion along a straight line, projectile motion, Newton’s laws of motion, momentum, energy and power.
- Electricity -including electrical quantities, resistivity, circuits and components.
- Further mechanics and thermal physics - including circular motion and simple harmonic motion, aswell as the thermal properties of materials, ideal gases and the kinetic theory of gases
- Fields and their consequences-including gravitational fields, electric fields, capacitors, magnetic fields, alternating current and electromagnetic induction.
- Nuclear physics-including radioactivity, nuclear instability and nuclear energy.
- Medical physics - including the eye, the ear, biological measurements, non-ionising imaging and X-ray imaging.
The course is aimed at those with grade A in Physics at GCSE level and grade A or better in Mathematics.
Physics provides a route into many careers, and opportunities exist throughout the world. These prospects are not confined to research-they extend into a wide range of industries, into food, medicine, finance, marketing, business and management. The general skills of analysis and problem-solving that physicists develop are highly valued in many different fields of employment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Penrith directly.