A Level Geography at The Elmgreen School
Yes, if you are interested in how the environment is affecting us all, and have an interest in the environment and current affairs, a willingness to explore new ideas and an ability to communicate effectively. Geography graduates are among the most employable students today and it is highly desirable for a range of careers. An A* to C grade in Geography GCSE and also English GCSE would indicate that this is a course for you.
What will I learn? You will:
- Gain an understanding of the issues affecting people in cities and the countryside
- Learn about our human environment: Population, Energy supplies, Food supplies, Health issues
- Learn about our natural environment landscapes: Rivers, Coasts, Deserts
- Appreciate effects of natural hazards and the plight of refugees
- Understand how resources are managed and their economic position
- Plan and conduct a fieldwork investigation
You will study two units:
First year: AS Unit 1: Global Challenges – The world at Risk (Hazards) and Going Global (Globalisation)
Unit 2: Geographical Investigations – Extreme weather; crowded coasts; Unequal spaces and; Rebranding.
Second year: A2
Unit 3: Contested Planet
Unit 4: Geographical Investigation – Tectonics
grade B at GCSE Geography or equivalent Grade B at English and Mathematics.
Travel and tourism
Development and aid work
The armed forces
The oil industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Elmgreen School directly.