Professional Chefs Advanced Technical Diploma Level 3 at City College Plymouth
Supported and endorsed by the Craft Guild of Chefs - the UK's largest chef organisation - this study programme will equip you for the rigours of the modern day restaurant and hotel environment. It will give you the skills employers are looking for. If you have a real interest in cooking and food and beverage, and wish to train professionally for a career, then this is the study programme for you! Kit and uniform for this course will be provided by the College for all 16-18 year olds. You will need to pay a deposit of £100, which will be refundable on the successful completion of your course.
The course will develop your skills in professional cookery and restaurant service to a level which will enable you to be prepared for a future in the hospitality industry.
The course covers the following areas:
- the catering and hospitality industry
- food safety
- healthier foods and special diets
- preparing and cooking food
- understanding menus
- food and beverage service skills
- health and safety awareness
- customer care
- team work and communication.
You will be taught and assessed in our state-of-the-art training kitchens and restaurant, and will have a combination of practical skill development session and theory.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
You will need to have four GCSEs of which at least two should be at grades A*-C (including English and maths). You must show a willingness to engage and a genuine interest in the course that enables you to progress into employment or further education. Work experience within the hospitality sector would be viewed favourably.
Assessment throughout the course is continuous in every subject. You are not only assessed on written work but also in practical situations, on your appearance, attitude and teamwork, and technical skills.
On successful completion of the level 1 diploma and with a good profile you may progress to:
- complete levels 2 and 3 of this course, and then on to a foundation degree at the College
- employment in the industry after level 1 or 2 and follow an Apprenticeship programme.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.