Graphic Design Level 2 Award at Kendal College
New Media has created a high demand for talented graphic designers and on this course you will explore the principals of graphic design, learn how it has evolved, and discover what the future holds for one of the fastest growing careers in the world. The course is taught using Adobe Software on Apple Mac computers.
You will learn how to choose appropriate equipment and software for a design project.
The course will also be useful to those employed in marketing, web design, fashion; and those with an interest in creating ‘on-line content’ generally.
Learning Styles: Taught elements, demonstrations and hands on practical tasks using Adobe CS, with tutor support.
This course will involve some personal study outside the class.
You will learn basic software skills in Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.
Need to think like a designer? This course gives you the opportunity to develop the skills related to the basic elements of design.
You will learn to:
- Develop effective design ideas through creative thinking and problem solving.
- Identify the four basic design elements namely composition, colour, type, and imagery and how they communicate a message.
- Brainstorm words and images to develop a creative design concept for a client.
- Develop effective design concepts for specific types of print media.
- Identify the use of humour, drama, or realism to attract attention and associate a product with an emotion.
- Choose appropriate equipment and software for a design project.
- Provide thoughtful commentary on existing design pieces demonstrating understanding of design elements, communication, audience, and tone.
Basic skills in using a computer. An interest in Graphic Design, and the enthusiasm to learn new skills.
Some experience of using Adobe Creative Suite would help you, but is not essential.
There are no additional course costs, or equipment requirements.
The programme offers assessed and non assessed routes, so that you have a choice of whether you would like to follow the qualification or undertake the course for ‘leisure’. You must tell us when you begin which route you would prefer to take.
There is one assessed unit which provides an introduction to industry standard design software Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign). There are no exams.
You will be expected to produce a portfolio of images that you will be required to provide.
What you could progress to next:
- Part time Graphics (Advanced) / BTEC Award Level 3
- Full time Level 3 Art and Design.
You may also be interested in:
- Full time Foundation (Level 3/4) Art and Design
- Part time Photography BTEC Level 2 or 3
- Part time Film Making
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kendal College directly.