Elements (ESOL English and Maths) at City of Oxford College
If you are 16-18 years old, do not have English as a first language and need to improve your language skills, maths and IT, Elements is the right course for you.
It will help you to improve the skills you need to start other college courses or get a job.
You gain a UK English and Maths qualification.
You also improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment. These include self-confidence, speaking in front of others, working with others, taking responsibility and managing your time.
- English, by doing a selection of topics - environmental science, drama and art
- ICT (information and communications technology) and maths
- communication, presentation, employability and enterprise and study skills
You study for 16 hours a week, which includes one hour of self study in the learning zone. Lessons are in and out of the classroom. You work in pairs, small groups, have discussions and play games. You also build essential study skills.
- to be 18 years of age OR UNDER on August 31
- to attend college full time
- to be a non-native speaker English – this course is for students who do not have English as a first language
You take exams in English and maths at the appropriate level.
We can give you advice and information to help you plan your next step, whether you would like to study another course in the college or somewhere else, or are looking for work.
You have an initial assessment and an interview to see if the course is suitable for you.
This is a year-long programme. However, you will be able to join the course at a later date if there are places available.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City of Oxford College directly.