Sport BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Reigate College
This stimulating and challenging vocational course is for students who intend to study for a degree or follow a career in sport and recreation.
A wide range of sporting topics are studied over the 2 years. Core units include:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
- Professional Development in the Sports Industry
- Sports Leadership
- Application of Fitness Testing
- Sports Psychology
Study is a mixture of theory and practical activities, and links the units above to current and relevant practical sporting settings.
Students will need 5 GCSEs at grade C or above including PE or Science and a minimum grade 4 in English Language or a minimum grade C in English Literature or History.
Students should have a genuine interest in sport as much of the course will involve linking the theory learnt to sporting examples. Students will not be directly assessed on their sporting ability. However, there are practical elements of the course that require students to be enthusiastic and willing to take part. Students should be highly motivated and able to consistently meet coursework deadlines.
This course is assessed through external assessment and coursework consisting of written assignments, presentations and practical assessments. Students use iPads to record and analyse sports performance and are taught to use a variety of different applications such as: iMovie, Explain Everything and Dartfish.
The exam board for this BTEC Level 3 Diploma is Pearson BTEC.
Studying sport could lead to:
- a degree in Sports Studies, Sports and Exercise Science, Sports Management, Sports Injury or Rehabilitation
- a career as a PE teacher or Sports Coach
- a career working within the Fitness Training Industry, Leisure Centres, Sports Development and Coaching are also popular, as are careers in Sports Therapy
- apprenticeships within the sports industry for example within Fitness Training, Sports Marketing
Even if students don't intend to pursue a career in sport, the course fosters:
- transferable skills such as team work, leadership experience and confidence and communication skills that will help students excel in all manner of careers
- a life-long passion for sport and a healthy lifestyle that will compliment any future career choices
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In recent years, these have included:
- a trip to Wimbledon to investigate the safety procedures in place at the tennis tournament
- an opportunity to participate in wheelchair basketball
- a trip to Airhop in Guildford to explore sports leisure development
- Mercers Lake: students participated in water sports activities for the Outdoor and Adventurous Activities unit of the course
- Surrey Sports Park: students were offered the opportunity to participate in practical activities (climbing and abseiling) with qualified instructors
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.