Health and Social Care AS/A2 Level at South Downs College
You will enjoy this course if you would like to develop an understanding of the diverse and complex nature of the Health and Social Care sector.
It is intended to complement other A levels to provide educational and vocational preparation for a wide range of careers and degree pathways.
The course will provide you with:
- A broad understanding of the sector
- Underpinning knowledge and skills relevant to a broad range of academic subjects and career pathways
- An awareness of particular groups and their needs
- Insight into what it means to work in the health and care sector through participation in work experience
AS level – you will study the following units:
- Promoting Quality Care – Examined Unit
- Effective Communication – Coursework Unit
- Promoting Good Health – Coursework Unit
A2 level – you will study three units from the following:
- Understanding Human Behaviour – Coursework Unit
- Care and Practice Provision – Examined Unit
- Mental Health Issues – Coursework Unit
A minimum of five GCSEs at grades A*-C, including English Language and usually Mathematics.
One of the units in each year will be externally assessed through an exam, with the other units being assessed on coursework evidence.
Coursework accounts for 67% of the overall mark.
Health and Social Care is an extremely popular area of study with students.
The A level in Health & Social Care qualifies for UCAS points.
It gives students a wide choice of progression options into further study.
Some of these include: Nursing, Midwifery, Radiography, Paramedic Science, Speech Therapy, Audiology, Children’s Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Primary and Secondary Teaching, Social Work, Mental Health, Psychology and Sports Therapy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Downs College directly.