Accessibility links

Environmental Studies AS/A Level at Brockenhurst College

Course description

The course provides the opportunity to gain insight and understanding of how geographical and biological components are interrelated in terms of the environment. It delivers a comprehensive account of the effect of human activity on the planet.

Students who do well in the subject are hardworking, meticulous and good at looking at issues covering a wide environmental spectrum. If you are interested in Environmental Studies, we advise you to take one or more of the following A Levels in Geology, Geography, Applied Science, Psychology, Physics, Biology , Chemistry or Maths, to complement your studies.

We have made some disastrous environmental decisions in the past. This could be your opportunity to help stop it happening in the future and clear up the mess we have created.

Course content

Both AS and A2 courses are modular. 

The AS course comprises of 2 units:

  • Unit 1: the Living environment (biodiversity and conservation, and life processes)
  • Unit 2: The Physical environment (atmosphere, physical resources and hydrosphere)

Global warming, water shortages, deforestation and pollution are some of the major environmental issues facing the Earth.  This course looks at these and many other such issues and builds upon ideas and concepts you will have met in GCSE Science and Geography. 

The subject will be taught through lectures, discussions, laboratory and field work.  Assessment is by end of module exams in the first year and the second year.

Entry requirements

Five GCSE’s at grade C or above including a grade C in English Language, Maths and a grade C or above in core and additional Science, although other relevant qualifications or experience would be taken into account.

Assessment

AS Level - 2 exam papers, both sat in May, one being an hour and a half and worth 60%, and the other one lasting 1 hour, and worth 40%.  These will be assessed mainly through short answer questions, with some answers requiring an extended response.

A2 Level - 2 exam papers worth 50% each, both sat in June.  Again, the papers will be mainly short answers but both papers will contain and essay style question.

Financial information

There will also be various field trips, which will cost a small fee to cover transport.

Cost:  The course book is Environmental Science, AS and A2 by Richard Genn, Nelson Thornes, costs approximately £24.

Future opportunities

AS/A level Environmental Studies can be used specifically, for entry into environmentally related courses at University, Higher Education or alternatively it can be used as a general A level entrance requirement.  Popular destinations include Southampton, Portsmouth, Falmouth, Plymouth and East Anglia.

With regard to employment, it can help gain entry into careers ranging from the County Council and environmental health, to forestry, agriculture and conservation. 

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.

Last updated date: 18 February 2016

Key information

Venues