Fitness and Exercise Level 2 at Isle of Wight College
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2
This qualification contains all the elements of fitness instructing gym-based exercise, exercise and physical activity for children together with employment rights and responsibilities, career opportunities in the active leisure sector, customer service, nutrition and optional units to include circuit training and fitness/physical activity for children.
Learners must be aged 18 by completion in July 2015.
Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- an understanding of the benefits of a balanced diet and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
- how to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- how to programme a variety of safe and effective exercise sessions for a range of clients
- how to instruct a variety of exercise sessions
- anatomy and physiology covering the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- how to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- employment law, industry specific legislation and procedures that apply to their jobs
- the subsectors that make up the active leisure and learning sector
- an understanding of the Principles of Customer Service
Progression to Level 3 requires successful completion of this programme including functional skills.
This qualification provides entry to REPs (the Register of Exercise Professionals) at level 2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.