Music A Level at Tollbar Academy
The A Level is made up of 6 units. The first three are completed in the first year as the
Unit 1 - Influences in music of the Western Tradition:
• In this unit you will analyse one set work in detail - Haydn Symphony No. 104
(London) movements 1 and 3
You will also study works from:
• Baroque Choral Music;
• Music Theatre 1940 – 1980;
• British Popular Music 1960 - present.
Unit 2 - Responding to a Composition Brief:
You will be given a choice of briefs to work to within the following three areas. You only
complete ONE piece.
• Compositional Techniques;
• Free Composition;
Unit 3 – Performance:
You will be expected to give two performances lasting in total 10 - 16 minutes in length.
The two can be chosen from:
• Instrumental Solo;
• Vocal Solo;
• Instrumental Solo on 2nd instrument;
• Sequenced Performance;
• Multi tracking.
Unit 4 - Music in Context.
In this unit you will study and analyse in depth one set work: Shostakovich Symphony
No. 5. You will also study works from one of the following:
• 20th Century Choral Music
• Chamber Music (Mendelssohn to Debussy)
• Four Decades of Jazz and Blues 1910 - 1950
Unit 5 - Composition - responding to a brief.
As for unit 2, you are given a choice of brief from three areas.
Unit 6 - Performance.
You will be asked to perform two or more contrasting pieces, to form a short
programme of solo acoustic or technology based performance, lasting 10 - 15 minutes.
You will need to have good knowledge of theoretical skills and be a competent
performer. Therefore we will expect you to have at least one of the following:
• GCSE Music minimum grade B;
• Grade 5 theory (ABRSM / Trinity Guildhall);
• Grade 5 on your main instrument or voice.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tollbar Academy directly.