Carpentry and Joinery C&G Level 1 Diploma at Northbrook College Sussex
The course is aimed at developing students personal learning and thinking skills through practical tasks underpinned with theoretical knowledge of the construction industry.
The course lends itself to progression through self-study allowing students to develop their own skills and knowledge in our newly built and well equipped workshops.
The Diploma is made up of the six following units:
- Principles of building construction information and communication
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Produce woodworking joints
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
To start on this course you need:
- A standard of English and Maths assessed at interview to be at GCSE grade E or Entry Level 3.
- A successful interview and completion of a short spatial and numerical test developed by the Construction Industry Training Board
- A reference
Students' work is assessed throughout the year. Starting with the basics, students develop the skills required in order to complete an assessed piece at the end of the academic year.
There may be the opportunity for those who complete the training on time to design and make a small item before starting their assessment. Assignments are set to prepare students for multiple choice theory exams which will be spread out over the year.
After 1 year at Level 1 you can achieve a Level 1 Diploma in Carpentry & Joinery This means you can apply for Level 2 or seek work in industry or apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Northbrook College Sussex directly.