Motor Vehicle (Heavy) Apprenticeship Intermediate Level 2 at Southampton City College
This apprenticeship is suitable for you if you want to start a career or develop your existing skills in service, maintenance and repair of commercial and passenger carrying vehicles. There are more than 32 million vehicles on the UK’s roads which means, many motor vehicle technicians are needed to keep them roadworthy.
As a motor vehicle apprentice you will work on all areas of vehicle mechanics and electrics, from the engine and exhaust systems to the air conditioning and security features. You will develop the practical skills, technical knowledge and the communication skills required to work as a professional and competent motor vehicle technician.
Typical duties will include:
- Finding and identifying faults
- Advising customers if repairs are needed and how critical they are
- Providing time and cost estimates for jobs
- Carrying out repairs / replacing damaged parts
- Fitting and servicing accessories e.g. radios and vehicle alarms
- Carrying out routine servicing and checks
No previous qualifications are required and a full assessment will take place to ensure you have the skills to complete the qualification. Those wishing to progress onto an advanced apprenticeship will require GCSE’s A*-C in English and maths (or equivalent) or demonstrate, through the assessment process, that you are able to achieve this.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Mechanic or Technician
- Diesel Mechanic or Technician
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Southampton City College directly.