Performing Arts Musical Theatre BTEC Level 3 at Marriotts School
Extended Diploma – Equivalent to three A levels, thirteen units.
Mandatory units include:
- Investigating Practitioners’ Work
- Developing Skills and Techniques for Live Performance
- Group Performance Workshop
- Performing Arts in the Community
- Individual performance Commission
- Final Live Performance to an Audience
- Employment Opportunities in the Performing Arts.
Optional units include:
- Jazz Dance Technique
- Tap Dance Technique
- Acting styles
- Singing Technique for Performers
- Musical Theatre Techniques.
Students should have
BTEC First Award in Acting (Level 2) Distinction or Distinction* grades OR
BTEC First Award in Dance (Level 2) Distinction or Distinction* grades
There will be continuous assessments throughout the course, which will all involve some aspect of performance and usually to a live audience. Workshops and rehearsals will be regularly recorded to evidence progression. During Year 1 you will be expected to participate and help to run the school’s entry to ‘Rock Challenge’. The end of Year 2 you will produce a final showcase in which you will perform techniques from all units, as well as budgeting, marketing and planning the performance.
The BTEC is widely recognised across the majority of universities and although it is completely different to the A level this is solely because of it being heavily weighted towards practical and performance methods of assessment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Marriotts School directly.