World DevelopmentAS / A2 Level at University Church of England Academy
This is an interesting and stimulating course that looks
at a wide range of current issues both in the UK and
across the world. The topics covered address some
of the big issues that regularly feature in the media.
Students will consider key questions such as:
- Will the Earth’s natural resources cope with
future economic and population growth?
- How does development in one place affect
- What causes poverty and how can inequality
- What international initiatives are there to
deal with major issues such as poverty, debt
and sustainable development?
Examples are taken from across the globe and are
often related to current news.
- China’s economic invasion of Africa
- The implications of current dam building in
- Should elephants be culled in South Africa?
- Will hosting the World Cup help to tackle
inequality in Qatar?
To enjoy the course you will need an interest in the world around you and be interested in current issues both in the UK and further afield. You will need to be willing to share your opinions, listen to others, show an understanding and tolerance of different values and attitudes and carry out independent research. As the course is assessed by both exam and coursework, a commitment to both parts is essential for success. No prior knowledge of the topics is required to start the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact University Church of England Academy directly.