Art and Design (Photography) - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Are you passionate about photography? Would you like to develop a working artistic knowledge of photography, its development and its applications?
This course explores the methods, equipment and technologies of photography. It encourages you to appreciate the visual world, and enables you to respond creatively through photography. The course is suitable for people who want to work in commercial and professional mode, as well as those who want to explore innovative methods or ideas.
You will accumulate a range of practical skills, whilst learning to transform your ideas into finished work. You will also develop experimental, analytical and documenting skills, helping you to evolve as both a producer and viewer of photography. The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects or possibly with other Level 3 qualifications.
The AS Level is offered at Dolgellau, while AS and A Level are offered at Rhos-on-Sea.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Theoretical learning
- Practical work
- Visits to local, national and international galleries
- Virtual Learning Environment (MOODLE)
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st language) and Art together with evidence of study in a folder of work.
- Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
- You will need to attend an interview and be able to demonstrate your interest in photography.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
In the first year, to achieve the AS level, you will complete a single coursework unit equating to 40% of the full A Level. This is assessed via a blend of interim assessment and feedback, with final external moderation taking place at the end of the AS year.
In the second year, to achieve the full A Level, you will also complete a 'Personal Investigation' plus 'Externally Set Assignment' which together will equate to 60% of the full A Level.
The AS Level course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to use these towards your application for a Higher Education course.
If you choose to continue your studies in this subject, Grŵp Llandrillo Menai offers the following degree courses:
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Art and Design at Parc Menai, Bangor
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Photography at the Rhos-on-Sea Campus
- BA (Hons) Fine Art at Parc Menai, Bangor.
Your career options would encompass a variety of photography and media environments. You could work independently as a photographer, in both an artistic and commercial context. You could also enter employment in the creative industries: for example, in advertising, web design, TV, film, publishing, illustration or product design.
Other possible career opportunities include education, gallery or museum work, theatre or festival related work, archive work or work within the print industry.
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.