Physical Education A Level at Priory School Edgbaston
The specifications will encourage students to become increasingly physically competent by:
· developing the skills and techniques they require to perform effectively in
· applying and adapting a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in
different types of physical activity;
· developing and applying their skills in different roles, such as performer,
leader/coach and official within physical activities;
· applying their skills in different contexts within a physical activity.
The specification will enable candidates to be informed and discerning decision-makers who understand how to be involved in physical activity through helping them to:
· understand how they and others make the most of the opportunities and pathways available to be involved in physical activity;
· understand and critically evaluate how contemporary products and consumer-focused influences related to physical activity affect and inform young people’s decisions about being involved in a range of physical activities;
. understand and critically evaluate current key influences that might limit or encourage young people’s involvement in physical activity
Students will complete three units – Unit 1 is covering physiological factors in sport, Unit 2 is psychological and socio-cultural themes in physical education. Unit 3 is sports performance in one sport and a live analysis task of another performer’s performance.
Students will complete four units;
Unit 1 – students will have the opportunity to cover physiological factors in sport. Unit 2 is covering psychological factors in sports performance, Unit 3 is looking at socio-cultural issues within physical activity and Unit 4 is sports performance in one sport and a live analysis task of another performer’s performance.
GCSE or BTEC PE is advisable but not essential. In addition at least a C grade in GCSE Science is required, due to the scientific nature of the course. An interest in sport is mandatory along with being a competent performer in one or more sports.
70% Theory /30% Practical
· Business in sport
· Leisure Industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Priory School Edgbaston directly.