Carpentry & Joinery - Level 1 Diploma at Easton & Otley College
The Level 1 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery is designed to prepare learners to enter the Construction Industry in their chosen individual craft.
It has been specifically developed for delivery in a training environment using simulated conditions and the tests are based on the learner demonstrating their knowledge and skills through the completion of all the requirements of the qualification.
As part of the Construction department, Carpentry and Joinery offers the following main units of training:
Practical skills include:
- Employing good Health and Safety practice in the workshop
- Understanding timber
- Using and maintaining carpentry hand-tools
- Making basic woodworking joints
- Carry out set test pieces
- Maintain and use Power Tools
After a period of practical training, students will be tested in their carpentry skills with a Synoptic Test. This is a timed test and is assessed by their tutor at each stage of completion.
This is an essential component of the Diploma and offers the student the opportunity to demonstrate their carpentry skills to a high standard.
Theory units include:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others
- Knowledge of construction technology
- Produce woodworking joints
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification but we ask that you have a keen interest in carpentry or woodworking trades.
- We must ensure that you have the potential to successfully gain the qualification.
Upon successful completion of the Level 1 Carpentry and Joinery course, students can progress to the Level 2 Site Carpentry course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Easton & Otley College directly.