Highway Maintenance CSkills Level 2 Diploma at Doncaster College
This course is aimed at people new to the Highway Maintenance Industry and is a Level 2 Diploma
You will be taught how to lay tarmac, concrete, kerbstones, blocks and flagstones, operate power tools including stihl saw, floor saw, whacker plates and a one ton pedestrian roller, while working within Highways Agency specification and regulation for Road Building.
This course is made up of the following eight units.
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
- Understanding civil engineering technology
- Establish work area protection and safety on highways
- Segregate the area of highway works for single carriageway roads
- Excavate holes and trenches on the highway
- Locate and protect utility apparatus and sub-structures
- Reinstate excavation and highways surfaces
- A Level 1 qualification in Ground Works
- Maths, English and Science GCSE's at grade E or above
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and English and attend an individual interview.
You will complete on-line multiple choice tests in each of the eight units shown. Your practical skills will also be assessed against tasks based around Excavating and reinstating highways, Setting out traffic management and traffic control and detecting underground services.
Successful candidates can progress to the Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment. Further study opportunities are available from Level 3 up to and including Level 6.
Successful completion of the Level 2 Diploma will give learners an opportunity to gain employment within either the private sector of Civil Engineering and Highways Maintenance companies or within Local Authorities Highways Department.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Doncaster College directly.