Fine Art at WG6 (Joint 6th Form for Wilmington Grammar School for Girls and Wilmington Grammar School for Boys)
Introduction to the Course
The aims and objectives of the Advanced GCE in Art and
Design are to enable students to develop:
- intellectual, imaginative, creative and intuitive capabilities
- investigative, analytical, experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills,
- aesthetic understanding and critical judgment
- independence of mind in developing, refining and communicating ideas, intentions & personal outcomes
- an interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of art, craft and design
- experience of working with a broad range of media
- an understanding of the interrelationships between art, craft and design
- processes and an awareness of the contexts in which they operate
- knowledge and experience of real-world contexts and, where appropriate, links to creative industries
- knowledge and understanding of art, craft, design and media and technologies in contemporary and past societies and cultures
- an awareness of different roles, functions, audiences and consumers of art, craft and design.
Standard entry requirements including: Grade 6 GCSE in Art and Design. Students should have a commitment to and love of the subject and feel motivated to develop visual skills and express their ideas.
Component 1: Personal Investigation (60%) This component allows students opportunities to generate and develop ideas, research primary and contextual sources, record practical and written observations, experiment with media and processes, and refine ideas towards producing resolved outcomes. This component consists of three major elements: supporting studies, practical outcomes and a personal study of a minimum 1000 words of continuous prose.
Component 2: Externally Set Assignment (40%) This component allows students opportunities to generate and develop ideas, research primary and contextual sources, record practical and written observations, experiment with media and processes, and refine ideas towards producing resolved outcomes in response to an externally set theme.
This component consists of two major elements: supporting studies and the 15 hour period of sustained focus.
Both components are assessed against the following four Assessment Objectives which are equally weighted:
AO1 - Develop ideas through sustained and focused investigations informed by contextual and other sources, demonstrating analytical and critical understanding
AO2 - Explore and select appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes, reviewing and refining ideas as work develops
AO3 - Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions, reflecting critically on work and progress
AO4 - Present a personal and meaningful response that realises intentions and, where appropriate, makes connections between visual and other elements
Future Career Progression
Fine Art and Photography are an excellent combination for those students who are considering Art College or a career in the creative or design industry. Art is also relevant for numerous related careers such as publishing, architecture, museum, theatre or gallery work. There are many transferable study skills and creativity is essential in many career paths and desirable even in the business environment
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact WG6 (Joint 6th Form for Wilmington Grammar School for Girls and Wilmington Grammar School for Boys) directly.