Product Design: Resistant Materials A Level at Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys
This qualification emphasises two key factors: creativity and sustainability.
We all want students to explore ideas of originality and value, to question and challenge, to envisage what could be, but equally we need them to achieve the results that will progress their careers.
This qualification structure allows students to develop a range of skills and outcomes at Advanced Subsidiary (AS) which demonstrate their creativity and apply these to a design and make project at A2.
Good design is vital to our world and our economy. It is important, therefore, that we enthuse the next generation of designers with a passion for designing new products that provide solutions rather than add to the existing problems of pollution and waste.
- Unit 1 – Portfolio of Creative Skills 60% of the AS – 30% of the Final GCE
- Unit 2 – Design and Technology In Practice 40% of the AS – 20% of the Final GCE
- Unit 3 – Designing for the Future 60% of the A2 – 30% of the Final GCE
- Unit 4 – Commercial Design 40% of the A2 – 20% of the Final GCE
B in English, B in Maths
B grade or above in GCSE Design Technology is desirable.
- Unit 1 –Portfolio of creative skills- Research, Design and Make
- Unit 2 –1.5 hour written exam.
- Unit 3 –Design and make your own product for a specific client. You choose the brief.
- Unit 4 – 2.5 hour written exam.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys directly.