Information Technology A Level at Bridgwater College
ICT is a gigantic global industry that is keeping people in touch wherever they are: at home, at work or at play. This course will appeal to you if you have an interest in studying how we use ICT and the possible future developments of how ICT will change our lives. The A Level in ICT can be taken in combination with other A Levels and the Computing and IT Level 3 Extended Diploma.
In the first year you will study to ‘big picture’ themes:Practical Problem Solving
- Introduces you to the various hardware and software technologies used in ICT and how you can apply them to different applications in real life.
- This will give you a solid grounding in ICT, such as transferring data, backups and the interface between people and ICT systems.
In the second year you will build your knowledge further:The use of ICT in the Digital World
- You will cover emerging technologies, how to manage an ICT project and the use of ICT solutions within an organisation.
- You will get hands-on experience by designing and implementing a real ICT-related system and you will get the opportunity to work with a real-life client.
Five GCSEs in the A* – C range, including Maths and English at grade C or above.
At the end of the first year you will undergo two written, one and a half hour, exams. You are also required to produce a small piece of coursework in class. At the end of the second year there are two assessments. One is a, two hour, exam. The second assessment is a real-life ICT solution that you will create throughout the year. Progress will be reviewed and discussed throughout the year. Your knowledge will continuously be tested through mock exams and informal assessments in class.
- Higher Education at University
- Internal progression onto our HND Computing
- Higher Computing Apprenticeship
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.