Bricklaying Level 1 Diploma at West Lancashire College
Bricklaying is one of the traditional trades both in the UK and around the world - Sir Winston Churchill is known to have enjoyed
laying bricks and building walls during his lifetime. Those studying bricklaying will learn a variety of skills to enable them to build, repair and maintain the country's housing stock. Our qualifications are aimed at people wishing to learn some skills in
bricklaying, to progress on to becoming skilled in their chosen trade, or to progress through an apprenticeship and work towards becoming a master craftsman.
This course is for school leavers and adults interested in a career in construction (Bricklaying)
Successful students tend to:
• have practical skills and good hand skills
• be able to follow technical drawings, building plans, and other instructions
• be fit and strong enough to carry tools and materials
• have good communication skills
• be able to work quickly and neatly
• enjoy working with others
Areas covered include:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Carry out bricklaying activities
- Carry out block laying activities
- Carry out cavity walling activities
- Contribute to setting out and building of masonry structures up to damp proof course
in addition students will study functional skills.
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
Theory Classes will take place at Main Skelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale, WN8 6DX
Practical Classes will take place at West Lancashire Construction Academy, Gillibrands, Skelmersdale, WN8 9JP
A recognised maths and English qualification is required. All successful candidates will be interviewed and selected for the course.
- Assessment is on line core unit examination
- Awarding body phase test
- Portfolio of knowledge
Successful completion of the course including Functional Skills will allow you direct access into Level 2 Bricklaying or Level 2 General Construction Operations.
Alternatively you may decide to change direction and transfer to another construction qualification at Level 1:
• Painting & Decorating
• Carpentry & Joinery
This course is designed to open up the world of Construction to students either as a continuing student or potentially as an employed trainee. Career progression opportunities include:-
• Masonry work
• Ground worker
• Dry stone walling
• Carpentry & Joinery
• Site management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.