Professional Cookery NVQ - Patisserie and Confectionery Level 3 Diploma at Darlington College
This course takes skills and techniques learnt on a Level 2 course or skills you have already gained and enhances and helps you to further develop them so that you will learn and be able to demonstrate specialist cooking skills. It also builds on your skills that you have gained from a level 2 qualification.
If you have not achieved a C grade or above in English or maths, you will as part of your course be required to work towards this as part of your study programme. You will be given the opportunity to go on work experience at certain times during your course.
To develop your employability opportunities you may also be given enrichment classes. This may focus upon additional qualifications, industrial updating and career preparation
You will participate in a variety of practical workshops. This course is mainly based in a practical kitchen preparing, cooking and finishing various complex dishes.
The course is portfolio based with no formal end of year exam. However, theory sessions which include presentations, group projects and Functional Skills take place within a classroom environment.
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Maintain health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
Plus 9 additional units:
- Ensure appropriate food safety practices are followed whilst food is prepared, cooked and served
- Prepare, cook and finish complex bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, biscuits, sponges and scones
- Prepare, process and finish chocolate products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare, process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Prepare and cook complex hot desserts
- Prepare and cook complex cold desserts
- Produce sauces, fillings and coatings for complex desserts
You will need to have a Level 2 Catering qualification which includes pastry units or extensive experience in a patisserie environment. Direct entry from GCSEs is not possible due to the practical nature of this course.
You will be required to attend an interview at the college for all courses and Apprenticeships and we will request a school or college report.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Darlington College directly.