Accessibility links

Health and Social Care -study programme at Independent Training College

Course description

All the underpinning knowledge and off the job training takes place at the Park Road site. It is made up of unit which you complete at your own pace, and is show by collecting evidence in a portfolio.

The course is a mixture of practical activities and classroom based work. You will learn about communication skills for health and social care, individual needs and rights including diversity and factors that influence equality. You will be taught about creative and therapeutic activities such as play therapy and art therapy. There will also be an aspect of anatomy and physiology of the human body and learning about the different stages of human life.

Course content

The course offers an insight into the health and social care sector and gives you the opportunity to develop the skills, personal qualities and experience that will help you for further study or employment in this area. You will undertake a work placement as part of this course and therefore will need to have a clear criminal records (CRB) check before working with vulnerable adults. Throughout the course you will be expected to work at improving your functional skills in English, maths and ICT.

Entry requirements

There are no formal entry requirements but if you are in Year 11 at school you will be expected to complete the year and take any exams you are entered for to give you the best start for your course at college. We will also ask you to complete an assessment of your maths and English skills at interview to ensure that the course is the right one for you.


Practical Assessment and Coursework

Financial information

Entitlement to Bursary

You may also be entitled to additional bursary payments. On your first day, please bring with you proof of your household income (parents income if you live with them) so that we can assess your eligibility for this.

• Letter confirming income from the following benefits (this must be dated within the last three months): Income Support/, Income-based Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit letter, Working Tax Credit or any other benefits.

• Proof of earned income (3 monthly wage slips or last 6 weekly wage slips or 4 fortnightly wage slips or P60)

• Self-employed earnings with no additional benefits (audited accounts or official tax return. If any of the following apply to you, you may also be entitled to additional support. Please bring any proof that you may have to confirm your situation.

• You are 16-19 and in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit • You are looked after by the Local Authority

• You are a Care Leaver

• You are a disabled student in receipt ESA and DLA or Personal Independence payments (PIP) We will be happy to reimburse travel costs on this occasion. Please make sure that you retain your bus/travel ticket to claim back the day expenses. If you have any queries regarding the above please contact Business Development via reception desk on the above telephone number or free phone 0800 3289220

Future opportunities

The Future: Health Care Assistants Home Care Assistants Care workers in any capacity involved in the day to day care of individuals


Further information

To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your school/college careers staff. Contact us on 01226 295471

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Independent Training College directly.

Last updated date: 17 October 2016
Provider logo

Key information