French A Level at Chew Valley School
The chance to learn to speak and write more sophisticated French. You will be offered the opportunity to take part in a cultural trip to Paris. You will study history, culture, the business world and politics and analyse some social problems, such as immigration and racism, while deepening your knowledge of the structure of the French language.
The course builds on and extends the language skills acquired at GCSE. It also provides the opportunity to study aspects of French society, culture and history. Students will also be able to explore areas of personal interest in oral and written coursework.
Students who love French and have achieved a Grade B or above at GCSE.
- Unit 1 – Speaking and responding in French
- Unit 2 – Understanding and writing in French
The contents of these units will be:
- Youth culture and concerns
- Lifestyle: health and fitness
- The world around us: travel, environmental issues and the French-speaking world
- Education and employment
- Unit 3 – Understanding and speaking French
- Unit 4 – Research, understanding and written response in French
Students have to demonstrate skills in advanced writing (discursive or creative essay) and translation from English into French. They also have to research a text, play, film or topic related to the culture or society of a French-speaking country. The content of these units will be the same as at AS but with the addition of:
- Customs, traditions and beliefs
- National and international events: past, present and future
- Literature and the arts
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Chew Valley School directly.