Sport BTEC National Diploma at Stoke Newington School
You will study eight core units:
• principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
• the physiology of fitness
• assessing risk in sport
• fitness training and programming
• sports coaching
• sports development
• fitness testing for sport and exercise
• practical individual OR practical team
There are also a number of specialist units. You must take five of these to gain a double award, or 11 for a triple award:
• sport and society
• leadership in sport
• exercise, health and lifestyle
• working with children in sport
• sports injuries
• rules, regulations and officiating in sport
• organising sports events
• exercise health and lifestyle
• instructing physical activity and exercise
• research investigation in sport and exercise science
• sport and exercise massage
• practical individual or practical team
You must have studied PE at GCSE or sport at BTEC level 2. You should ideally have a 4.5 in English and Cs in science, although we will consider applicants with other grades. You will be expected to participate in extra-curricular activities and take leadership roles in school sports events throughout the course.
All units are assessed through coursework assignments. These are scenario-based and use a variety of assessment methods. You will complete written assignments, interviews, observation records and participation logbooks. You will also organise and run a variety of school and community sports events.
You will be able to continue your studies at degree level in sport, education or science-related subjects. The course also offers a route into the expanding leisure industries.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stoke Newington School directly.