Biology AS at Batley Girls' High School - Visual Arts College
Edexcel Biology AS
Unit 1 - Lifestyle, Transport, Genes and health. Examined by external exam.
This unit includes:
- structure and function of carbohydrates, lipids and proteins; enzyme action
- structure and properties of cell membranes; passive and active transport
- structure and roleof DNA and RNA
- replication; protein synthesis
- monohybrid inheritance
- gene mutations
- principles of gene therapy; social and ethical issues.
Unit 2: Development, Plants and the Environment. Examined by external exam. This unit includes:
- cell structure and ultrastructure of eukaryote and prokaryote cells: cell specialisation
- the role of meiosis
- genotype and environment influence
- stem cell research and its implications
- biodiversity, adaptations and natural selection
- principles of taxonomy
- plant cell structure
- transport of water in plants
- uses of plant products
Unit 3: Practical Biology and Research Skills - in this unit students write a report of between 1500 and 2000 words, either a record of a visit to a site of biological interest or a report of research into a biological topic.
Two grades A* - B in GCSE core/ Additional/ Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics.
Unit 1 and 2 are assessed by external exam (40% of the AS course each), with the coursework report comprising the final 20% of the AS course.
A Level Biology is an advantage if you wish to study the following at university:
Medicine, Medical Sciences, Nursing, Veterinary Science, Pharmacy, Forensic Science, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy, Sports science, or Geography.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.