Performing Arts (Dance) (90 Credit) L3 Diploma at North Lindsey College
The Level 3 90 Credit Diploma in Performing Arts Dance is equivalent to 1.5 A Levels
and will be taught over one year. This qualification gives learners the opportunity to study various dance genres within a broad curriculum. Learners will develop technical skills and vocational skills for both the workplace and higher education covering a
range of units such as developing contemporary dance technique, classical dance technique, choreographic principles and performing to an audience.
This is a highly practical and creative course introducing students to the varied aspects of the performing arts industry including performance skills and creative work.
In the Level 3 90 credit Diploma in Performing Arts Dance you will study a range of
practical and related theoretical units including:
- Developing Contemporary Dance Technique: Contemporary dance technique is essential for anyone intending to work in choreography and performance or wishing to progress to higher qualification levels. This unit will provide the building blocks of contemporary dance to ensure that the dancers understand how to use their physical skills to their full potential.
- Classical Dance Technique: Ballet is at the heart of many of the dance styles performed today. It can be classical or modern and is performed in a variety of contexts. This unit introduces the essentials of ballet technique, developing strength and suppleness and exploring how dancers move. Working in class will improve fitness levels and coordination so that learners can experiment with movement combinations and learn sequences of choreography.
- Choreographic Principles: Many dancers are also choreographers and this unit will equip learners with the tools to enable them to make dance for themselves and for other dancers. You will be encouraged to explore your creativity and experiment with a range of dance styles, techniques and movement vocabulary within a supportive framework.
- The Healthy Performer: The aim of this unit is enable learners to gain knowledge of the structure and function of the human body, focusing on the lifestyle and health of the performer.
- You will complete 9 units to complete the course.
- 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Maths
- A suitable level of performance ability to be demonstrated at interview
- At your audition you will be asked to perform two contrasting dance pieces
- Learners who have successfully achieved a First Diploma qualification and have met their personal targets are also eligible for the course.
Your progress will be measured in a number of ways including practical projects, written
assignments and internal assessment throughout the course. You will receive information about this through verbal feedback and written feedback from an assignment or project, and grading of your work. There are no exams and assessment is continual, however
you may be expected to present work to an external verifier from the examining body.
Functional skills and GCSEs are assessed with an examination.
Learners who successfully complete the Level 3 (90 Credit) Diploma are eligible to apply for the Level 3 Extended Diploma which will require an additional year of study. The Extended Diploma is a direct route into Higher Education or into dance schools.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Lindsey College directly.