Sport BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at King George V College
The Subsidiary Diploma in Sport provides the perfect foundation for any student interested in studying a sports related course at university. On the course you will work with local employers and gain valuable experience to enhance and develop your CV. You will have the opportunity to be assessed in a variety of different formats, all assessment having a focus on developing both employability skills and the skills required to be successful at university.
The Subsidiary Diploma in Sport at KGV has a balanced mix of practical lessons and theoretical content that you won’t find anywhere else! This course allows you to study Sport alongside other A-Level subjects and gain essential industry experience. You will also have opportunity to gain additional qualifications throughout the course that will enhance your employability, and/or give you additional accreditation when applying for university courses.
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology: Ever wondered how the body works? This unit examines how the body’s main 4 systems work (Musculoskeletal, Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Energy) – Essential for all aspiring Sports Theapists/Physiotherapists
- Physiology of Fitness: Mixing practical with theory- investigate how the body’s main 4 systems change during various exercise intensities. Assessed through practical investigations – just like a Sports Scientist.
- Assessing Risk in Sport: Discover the different types of risks that may present themselves in sport and devise strategies to overcome them to allow safe and effective sport to take place – a key skill for all Teachers/Coaches
- Fitness Testing for Sport: Explore the components or fitness and the appropriate measurement for an individual’s fitness. Take on the bleep test!
- Sports Coaching: Develop the skills to be a coach with this practically based unit. Once confident – you will deliver PE lessons in a local primary school during a 6 week coaching placement.
- Practical Individual or Team Sports: Another chance to keep yourself active and have fun, examining performance in sports such as; Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis, Athletics, Trampolining, Basketball, Netball, Football and Ultimate Frizbee.
- Psychology of a Sports Performer: Ever wondered how a top class performer holds there nerve when everything is on the line? Look into personality, motivation, controlling emotions and working together in this eye opening unit.
Successful students require a real passion for studying sport and exercise. Due to the fast-pace of the course, students must be well-organised and very self-motivated. The wide range of additional opportunities on the course, require students to be outgoing and enthusiastic.
At KGV College you will experience excellent teaching from expert staff, who share your passion for studying sport. You will also have numerous employer related experiences that are integrated into your course, including: coaching and leadership qualifications, sports related trips and visits, plan and lead some of the college enrichment sport programme, and work closely with local employers to gain hand-on experiences of the sports industry.
This course allows students to progress onto various career paths, many of our students progress onto, Sports Therapy/Physiotherapy, Teaching and Coaching degrees at some of the most prestigious universities across the country including Loughborough University and the University of Bath. Other popular options are Sports Psychology and Sports Coaching careers.
At King George V College, you will experience excellent teaching from expert staff, who also share your passion for studying Sport. You will also have numerous employer related experiences that are integrated into your course, including: coaching and leadership qualifications, sports related trips and visits, the opportunity to plan and lead some of the college sports enrichment programme, and the chance to work closely with local employers to gain hands-on experience within the sports industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact King George V College directly.