Mechanical Engineering BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3 at City College Plymouth
Would you like to go into product design, manufacturing engineering or mechanical engineering at technician level? Do you like to work out how things go together? Are you good with your hands? Our study programme will prepare you with the practical craftsmanship and technical know-how you will need to demonstrate to an employer that you will be a valuable asset to their business. The course begins as a one year 90 credit diploma. If you successfully complete your first year you can continue onto a second year and gain an 180 credit diploma which is equivalent to three A Levels.
The 90 credit diploma includes the following nine subjects:
- health and safety in the engineering workplace
- mechanical principles and applications
- maths for engineering technicians
- properties and applications of engineering materials
- engineering drawing for technicians
- selecting and using programmable logic controllers
- engineering primary forming processes
- engineering secondary and finishing techniques
- computer aided drafting.
There is also a requirement to complete functional skills and a welding unit.
For those continuing onto the 180 credit diploma, another eight units are studied including a project module which is a double unit:
- communication for engineers
- engineering project
- further mechanical principles and applications
- mechanical measurement and inspection techniques
- further maths for engineering technicians
- applications of mechanical systems in engineering
- principles and applications of fluid mechanics
- engineering design.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four to five GCSEs at Grades A*-C (including English, science and maths), or a level 2 diploma at merit grade
- an intermediate GNVQ in a related subject which includes maths and science
- a BTEC level 2 diploma in a related subject with a merit profile
- an NVQ level 2/technical certificate in a related subject
- equivalent qualifications.
Assessment is through a programme of coursework and formal assessment working within agreed timescales. There are exams in functional skills.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- an engineering-based foundation degree at the College, a higher level course at either the College or a university
- an Apprenticeship in mechanical engineering, marine engineering or fabrication and welding, or
- a wide range of careers in the engineering industry, such as a fabricator/welder, a mechanical or marine engineer, an automotive technician or you could consider moving into the aerospace sector or applying to the Forces.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.