Biology A level at City and Islington College
Biology asks important questions about the living world:
- Why do some people become ill and others don't?
- How does a single fertilised egg cell develop into an entire organism?
- What impact will global warming have on plants, animals and other species?
Combining practical lab-work and experiments with rigorous study into the nature of life on earth, Biology is a fascinating area of study at A Level.
You will study 8 topics over the two years of the course. Together they cover subjects ranging from DNA, genetics and cells to whole organisms and ecosystems. The course includes up to date issues such as epigenetics, genomics and stem cells. We follow the Salters Nuffield context led approach (SNAB) which makes use of contemporary issues to introduce biological principles.
A Level Biology includes a substantial practical element. You will carry out a number of significant practical activities relating to topics including microbiology, genetics, animal behaviour and ecology. Your practical skills will be assessed in the college and will lead to an endorsed certificate awarded alongside your A Level.
- You must satisfy the general entry criteria for A Level courses which are based on your GCSE results.
- In addition, you must achieve at least grade B in GCSE Mathematics and at least grade B in both GCSE Core and Additional Science or grade B in both GCSE Biology and another science subject. Biology must be taken in combination with at least one other subject from the following list: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology or Electronics.
- Equivalent overseas qualifications will be considered.
- IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in each skill) or equivalent.
You will be assessed by exams at the end of the course. Some questions will relate to the practical work you have done during the course.
Taken as one of three A Levels, Biology can take you to a university course of your choice. Taken with another Science A Level and/or with Maths, this course will allow you to specialise in Science at Higher Level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City and Islington College directly.