Computing Access to Higher Education at Warwickshire College Group
The Access to Higher Education Diploma (Computing) is a Level 3 qualification which provides HE progression opportunities for adults who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances may have achieved few, if any, prior qualifications.
It is designed for adults
- seeking a change of direction because of unemployment or lack of career opportunities
- have the ability to benefit from higher education but who have not previously had the opportunity to develop their academic skills
- have an interest in Computing.
The Diplomas are validated and awarded by OCN London and are recognised by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
Learners offered a place on the Access programme will take Subject Specific Modules alongside Academic Study Skills with an additional tutorial each week making a total of 12 hours contact time. A possible 15 hours independent study time per week may be necessary. The programme is fast moving, exciting and demanding with rigorous assessment. It is also highly rewarding and offers a great opportunity to succeed.
When applying for an Access course you are entitled to apply for a Government Loan to cover the cost, this will be written off if you proceed to a Degree programme.
The qualification has a credit value of 60 credits. It is a Level 3 qualification, although some units within it may be set at Level 2.
You will study;
- 45 credits graded at Level 3 in Subject Specific Computing units
- 15 credits ungraded at Level 2 or Level 3 in Academic Study Skills
Subject Specific Computing Modules may include;
- Hardware and Software
- Computer Networks
- HTML and CSS Basics
- Website Design and Creation
- Programming Fundamentals
- Database Design
- Database Implementation
- Handling Data
- Spreadsheets and Charts
- Extended Project
Academic Study Skills may include;
- Reading and Comprehension of Texts
- Report Writing
- Writing Standard English
- Finding and Reading Information
- Essay Writing
Module options are changed annually and some options may not be available.
An interview, plus confirmation of English and Maths grades, followed by enrolment directly onto the Diploma.WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
Other qualfications, level not knownFURTHER ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
- GCSEs grade C in Maths and English, or equivalent.
- Demonstrable knowledge and interest in IT and Computing
Method(s) Of Study: Taught classes and supported independent study.
Method Of Assessment: Various assignments which may include essay, presentations, research projects, seen papers and examinations.
Career Opportunities: Wide range of degree level courses in higher education followed by careers in for example software development, networking, web development and management etc.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Warwickshire College Group directly.