Media Studies A Level at Birkenhead Sixth Form College
How are media products created?
How is digital media expanding?
How influential is the Media as a source of information, entertainment and identity?
How do we use the media?Is Media Studies for you?
- You have an interest in the media and its role in people’s lives.
- You look forward to the opportunity to research topics in the media and then use them as a basis for your own production work.
- You want to explore a wide variety of media including newspapers, documentaries, advertising, film and the internet.
- You wish to produce your own media-related work and will enjoy working in groups to produce this.
- You want to develop skills of analysis, interpretation and debate.
- You want to learn how to handle computer software, photographic and audio equipment.
Media Representations and Responses
You will learn how to critically analyse and understand how a media text such as a newspaper or magazine article works and is constructed. You will also study the possible impact of the media on audiences while also examining and debating controversial issues related to the media.
Media Production Processes
You will carry out practical work using digital cameras and professional image manipulation and editing software to produce several pieces of work centred on a particular theme – e.g. creating a marketing campaign for a new film and storyboarding its opening sequence.
Media Investigation and Production
You will carry out your own research investigation on a topic chosen with guidance of your tutor.
Media: Text, Industry and Audience
You will develop your knowledge and understanding of the relationship between media texts, their audiences and the industries which produce and distribute them.
You must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including at least a grade C in English Language.
Assessment for the course will be through both exam (60%) and coursework (40%).
The skills you will develop on this course are good preparation for any career involving media, film or journalism. The course gives you a wide array of skills to prepare you for taking a university Degree in subjects including Media Studies, Journalism, Graphic Design, Marketing and other business or creative subjects. All industries rely upon the media to support their business interests, whether this is a Facebook page, Twitter update, website or weekly publication/blog.
Media Studies compliments many of the core subjects you may study at A-level. By studying it you will also develop independent research skills and will have the opportunity to develop your own views and interpretations on different subjects.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Birkenhead Sixth Form College directly.