Psychology A level at Campsmount Academy
You will study 4 topic areas:
1. Social psychology - this topic covers social identity, obedience to authority figures, prejudice and discrimination in society.
2. Cognitive psychology - this topic area focuses on remembering and forgetting and takes a closer look at eye witness testimony and how reliable it really is.
3. Biological psychology - within this area of psychology you will explore the role of the brain, nerves, neurons and hormones and what different effects they can have on behaviour and personality.
4. Learning theories - here we look at how behaviour is learnt, shaped, altered and extinguished.
Rather than being divided into topic areas, this year is divided according to what is on the exam papers.
Paper 1: Foundations in Psychology:
- There are 5 sections to this exam paper covering the four topics from AS and an additional section which lets us explore and debate issues within our society today.
Paper 2: Applications of Psychology:
- There are two sections to this exam paper, the first one covers clinical psychology looking at schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder and SAD. The second section looks at criminological psychology focusing on forensics
Paper 3: Psychological skills:
- The skills for this paper are not just essay writing covering key studies from any of the topic areas studied; they are also scientific skills that cover research methods for example, formulating aims, writing hypotheses, carrying out research and discussing findings.
There are two exam papers and both are worth 50% of the AS level:
- Paper 1: social and cognitive psychology (1 hour 30 minutes)
- Paper 2: biological and learning theory (1 hours 30 minutes)
There are two exam papers
- paper 1: Foundations in Psychology (2 hours, 35% of qualification)
- paper 2: Application of Psychology (2 hours, 35% of qualification)
- paper 3: Psychological skills (2 hours, 30% of qualification)
As a career choice Psychology offers you the opportunity to work in a number of fields, such as Educational Health, Occupational Therapy, Sport and/or Child Psychology. Other caring avenues include Nursing, Teaching, Social Worker as well as Psychiatry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Campsmount Academy directly.