Accessibility links

English Language and Literature A level at City and Islington College

Course description

Do you have a flair for writing and a passion to discover more about both English literature and the language as it's spoken around the world? This course is for you.

Course content

You will study a range of texts from literary and non-literary genres, such as fiction, drama, poetry, journalism, autobiography, travel writing, speeches and everyday conversation. You will explore and compare how writers and speakers use language and structure to express their thoughts and feelings. You will develop your skills in close reading and analysis as well as your creative writing skills.

Entry requirements

  • You must satisfy the general entry criteria for A Level courses, which are based on your GCSE results.
  • In addition, you must have achieved at least a grade B and a grade C in at two written GCSE subjects e.g. History, Geography, Humanities, English Literature, Business, Religious Studies or English Language.

International students:


  • Equivalent overseas qualifications will be considered.
  • IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in each skill) or equivalent.


Assessment is 80% by exam, with the remaining 20% going for a single coursework assignment.

Future opportunities

English A Level is one of the bedrock qualifications for progression either to Higher Education or into work. Taken as one of three A Levels, it can be your route into Higher Education. Teamed with another Humanities subject - like History or Drama - it could help you refine your study within HE.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City and Islington College directly.

Last updated date: 21 March 2016
Provider logo

Key information


  • More information
    • We are a specialist A Level Sixth Form College in the heart of Angel, Islington, with over 25 years of proven success and an outstanding record of achievement. Last year our overall A Level pass rate was 99%, 70% of students achieved grades from A*-C and 31 A Level subjects boasted a 100% pass rate.

      What we offer

      We specialise in preparing you for higher education and have an extensive range of subjects on offer, many of which are not offered elsewhere in London. Our teachers are A Level specialists, many are examiners and some have PHDs. The College offers superb facilities specially designed for A Level teaching.