English Literature AS/A2 at Magdalen College School
The course will enable you to:
- Develop your interest and enjoyment in literature by reading widely.
- Gain an understanding of the traditions of English and American Literature.
- Gain some appreciation of literature or literary influences from outside the UK.
- Communicate your response to a wide variety of texts and respond to texts of different types and periods.
- Make informed opinions and judgements on literary texts.
- Gain an understanding of cultural, historical and other influences on texts.
Minimum GCSE English grade B and GCSE English Literature grade B.
SUMMARY OF UNITS:
The A level comprises four units as follows:
AS Unit One - Texts in Context
The drama, poetry and prose of the Victorian era are studied, to prepare for a two hour examination, part of which is based upon a poetry set text, and part of which expects students to draw on their wide reading and knowledge of the period in response to a previously unseen text.
AS Unit Two - Creative Study
Two coursework essays will be produced; one covering a novel and one on a drama text, totalling 2000-2500 words. The essay titles and texts will be approved by the exam board to ensure fairness and suitability of the tasks.
A2 Unit Three - Reading for meaning
Two questions will be answered, in a 2 hour exam, on the subject of love through the ages. The questions will be based on unseen extracts but, in their answers, candidates will be expected to draw on texts studies in class and explored on their own.
A2 Unit Four - Extended Essay and Shakespeare Study
One coursework essay will be produced, of roughly 3,000 words, again with the exam board's approval of title and texts.
Some text books may need to be purchased.
Teaching, Civil Service, Publishing, Politics, Librarian, Psychology, Media and Theatre, Management, Book Retailing, Writing, etc.
Suitable for combining with all subjects.
For further information contact Mr J Medwin.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Magdalen College School directly.