Beauty Therapies Advanced Technical Diploma Level 3 at Bolton College
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
Learning skills and techniques from our expert teaching staff, you’ll soon progress on to treating members of the public within our professional beauty treatment rooms.
This course, which builds on skills gained at Level 2, has been designed to help you gain employment in the glamorous and dynamic beauty industry by teaching you essential practical skills, how to set up your own business and how to prepare for the world of work.
This is an internationally recognised qualification which will enable you to apply for employment worldwide.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
Your course will cover a range of different topics, including:
- Working with Colleagues within Beauty
- Client Care & Communication
- Promotion & Selling
- Body Massage
- Facial & Body Electrotherapy
- Electrical Epilation
- Microdermabrasion Techniques
- 45-50 day work placement
If required for your chosen HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
- Study of your chosen vocational subject
- English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
- Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
- Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
- Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
You will need Beauty Therapy Level 2.
You’ll be asked to complete a number of guided assignments as self-study; these will be graded ‘Pass’, ‘Merit’ or ‘Distinction’. Gola online exams must also be successfully completed for each unit in order to gain the Diploma.
Government-funded Further Education courses are usually free if you are aged 16-18 and are a British or European Union resident. Financial help is available for some students, whose families are on low income. If you’re worried about the cost of going to College, why not pop in for a friendly chat with our Student Services team?
For any financial queries or information about available bursaries, feel free to contact Student Services at Deane Road by calling 01204 482 181/195 and asking for a member of the Student Finance Team; or alternatively, come by and see us – we’re here to help!
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at college or university or continue your study with an Apprenticeship.
Following further study you could work as:
- A Beauty Therapist and earn up to £12,000 and £18,000, depending on experience. With an average wage of £16,000
- A Salon Manager, earning around £18,000 and £21,000 a year.
- A Make-up Artist, with earning potential of £20,000 a year.
- Teaching is delivered in industry-standard commercial salons
- Study Programmes and Apprenticeships range from Pre-Entry to Level 5, including an Access to Higher Education pathway
- Opportunity to practise treatments on paying members of the public
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Receive training from industry professionals, such as Ellisons, Studex, St. Tropez and Dermalogica
- The annual Beauty Showcase, where you can display your creative and technical skills
- Opportunity to raise money for charity through offering treatments to the public
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General Further Education College in Greater Manchester for 16-18 achievement rates for higher level qualifications.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
In our last inspection we were graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
The College will support you throughout your time here; you will receive personal support from both your tutor and your Learning & Development Mentor. Support is also available from our dedicated Student Services team for personal, financial and careers guidance.
During their visit Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Wednesday 17th October 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Thursday 22nd November 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Tuesday 5th February 2019, 4.30pm - 7pm
Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 3.30pm-7.30pm
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.