Land and Wildlife (Countryside)- Level 2 Technical Certificate at Plumpton College
Do you find the countryside exciting? If you’re leaving school and thinking of a career that involves working in the countryside, this course will give you a broad knowledge of the industry.
It’ll open up opportunities to you in countryside management, estate management and forestry.
You’ll get to enjoy a fantastic combination of practical and theory sessions all based at our brilliant facilities at Plumpton. You’ll discover a wide range of rural industries and habitats throughout the modules.
These are a suite of level 2 qualifications (equivalent to GCSE level) which can be studied in a variety of combinations to allow flexibility and to help you to develop the countryside skills you need.
Level 2 Certificate: you choose 2 subjects to study
Level 2 Extended Certificate: you choose 4 subjects to study
Level 2 Diploma: you complete all 6 subjects
It has a mixture of theory and practical sessions where you will learn about the wide range of rural industries and habitats, as well as develop practical skills in a range of subjects such as, forestry, countryside management, gamekeeping and estate skills.Qualifications Gained
- BTEC First at the level studied (outlined above) in Environmental Conservation
- Plumpton College Certificate
- Additional Work Related Qualifications
- College award, Functional Skills or GCSEs in English and maths
You can look forward to a varied programme of modules that also includes a work placement. You’ll also continue your English and Maths up to GCSE level. Modules include:
- Work related experience in the countryside sector *
- Environment and land based business *
- Estate maintenance
- Conservation and improvement of British habitats
- Introduction to countryside access and recreation
- Introduction to environmental studies
- Game management (optional)
- Tractor driving
- Deer management (optional)
- English & Maths
- You’ll need to have achieved 3 GCSEs between Grade A-D (new grades 9-3)
- Successful completion of a Level 1 course, having studied English and Maths at GCSE
- Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
- 16-18 exempt
- 16-18 exempt
- Cost for day students- £120 per year
- Cost for residential students- £200 per year
The facility fee is applicable to all our full time FE students and this is paid annually before you arrive for your enrolment and induction. This fee assists in providing non-educational facilities which include security, sports amenities, membership of the Sports and Social Club, minibuses, Wi Fi access, television room, on-site medical support and free car parking subject to availability.
For students aged 19 plus please contact Admissions for further fee information:
After completing your course, you can choose to go on to study a Level 3 in Countryside Management, Fish Management or Game Management at Plumpton.
Alternatively you’ll have the skills to find employment in game and countryside-related industries.
Course duration is between 2 and 4 days per week for 1 year.Facilities
- With over 800 hectares at your disposal, we’ve got excellent facilities for you to develop your knowledge and practical skills.
- On our College estate alone, you’ve got ancient semi-natural woodlands, chalk downland, our commercial farm, plus a network of small streams.
- You’ll also enjoy time at our dedicated wood workshops which are fully equipped with the latest technology and equipment.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.