Chemistry A Level at Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig
- Chemistry is a key Science and is a popular subject to study at AS / A2 level. During recent years the uptake has been approximately 10 – 15 students per year. Of these, the majority progress to A2 level.
- A2 results are consistently above the National Average.
- The course is very demanding and requires a genuine commitment from the outset. Students are expected to spend time outside lessons doing further work in order to expand their knowledge. In order to facilitate this, students are also given the opportunity to join Chem Net which provides help and support both online and through the issue of monthly magazines.
- There will be an opportunity to visit Cardiff University Chemistry department for a workshop.
- Chemistry is taught through the medium of english and welsh.
- Chemistry is now an essential subject for many University courses including Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy, Biochemistry and Forensic Science. It is also very desirable for students who wish to study subjects such as Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry.
- It is also possible to study Chemistry in association with other subjects such as Biology, Physics and even Foreign Languages. Many University courses now offer a year’s study abroad and / or industrial placements.
- A Royal Society Of Chemistry / Chem Net ambassador visits the School to talk to year 12 students about University Courses and career opportunities in Chemistry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig directly.