Product Design AS level at Shoeburyness High School
What will I be doing?
- Develop your graphic communication skills including both traditional rendering techniques and computer aided design/visualisation.
- Explore a range of materials and manufacturing techniques and apply them in practical design and make projects.
- Investigate existing products and draw upon them for inspiration when designing your own products.
- Explore a variety of model making techniques as you develop a product prototype.
What coursework do I have to do?
AS – Portfolio of creative skills including a product investigation, a design activity and a make activity.
5 GCSEs including English and Maths and a minimum of a B grade in Design and Technology. The attainment of a grade B is required in order to access the demanding quantity and quality of work at this advanced level.
What’s in the exam?
AS level concludes with a 1 ½ hour written exam set by the exam board. Subjects covered include: materials, components, industrial and commercial practice, joining techniques, material removal, heat treatment, conversion and seasoning, faults in woods, CAD/CAM (computer aided design and manufacturing modelling and prototyping, quality assurance, quality standards and health and safety.
- Further study at degree level.
- A career in design in a broad range of industries.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shoeburyness High School directly.