English Language and Literature AS/A Level at Reigate College
Students will need 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including grade C in GCSE English Language (Grade 5 or above) and grade B in GCSE English Literature (Grade 6) if taken. In addition, technical accuracy in spelling, punctuation and grammar is essential to obtaining a good grade at A Level.
Students will succeed on this course if they:
- really enjoy reading and responding to many different kinds of writing, including whole novels and plays
- are willing to explore in detail, through close text analysis, how language can affect the reader or listener
- are prepared to learn the terminology associated with a linguistic approach to English
- enjoy writing (accurately and fluently) in different forms, for different purposes and audiences
- enjoy taking part in discussion
- find language itself interesting; the way it changes and means different things to different people
Many of our students continue with an English or English-related degree at university. Others graduate in Law, History, Sociology and History for example, having made excellent use of the skills acquired from A Level English.
English Language and Literature AS/A Level students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course-related experiences. We always try to enrich student’s study of texts with trips to see plays or to hear authors discussing their work. In recent years, these have included:
- A visit to see a production of Hamlet at the National Theatre in London
- A visit to see a production of The Crucible at The Old Vic theatre, in London.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.