Accessibility links

NEW COURSE: Mathematical Applications and Interpretations, IBO Standard Level Certificate (level 3) at Wrotham School

Course description

This is a two year course: Higher Level is the equivalent of one A level and Standard Level is the equivalent of one half A level. This can be taken in a combination with other level 3 courses (including A level, IB and vocational).

If taken in combination with one other IB course AND either :

  • two vocational courses OR
  • one vocational and one A level

students will be taking the IBCP (International Baccalaureate Career-related Pathway).

Course content

This course has replaced the IBO Standard Level Mathematical Studies since the IBO have decided to discontinue that course.

Details of the content of this new course can be found here: 

The IB Mathematics: Applications and interpretation course aims to enable students to:

  • Understand and be able to recall Mathematical facts, concepts and techniques
  • Recall, select and use their knowledge of Mathematical skills to both abstract and real world contexts to solve problems
  • Communicate and interpret their Mathematics accurately Use technology accurately and efficiently to explore new ideas and solve problems
  • Construct Mathematical arguments using precise language Investigate unfamiliar situations, making conjectures, drawing conclusions and testing their validity


  1. Number & Algebra: Sequences and Series, Indices and Logarithms, Approximations and solving systems of linear and polynomial equations
  2. Functions: Equations of straight lines, Curve Sketching, Modelling
  3. Geometry & Trigonometry: Coordinate geometry, Volume and surface areas of 3D shapes, Trigonometry, Bearings, Circles
  4. Statistics & Probability: Classification of data, sampling, Presentation of data, Measures of central tendency and dispersion, Linear correlation, Introduction to probability, Venn diagrams, Discrete random variables, Normal distribution, Binomial distribution, Spearman’s rank correlation coefficient, Hypothesis testing, Chi Square test
  5. Calculus: Introduction to limits, differentiation of polynomials functions, equations of tangents and normal, Definite integrals, numerical methods

Entry requirements

Grade 5 in mathematics at GCSE. 

Offers will still stand for students who applied for the original Mathematical Studies course and have already received their conditional offer.


The core topics are assessed through three written papers taken at the end of the course. These contribute 80% of the final mark. No technology will be allowed for one of these papers and the shorter paper will be focussed on problem-solving questions. The Internal assessment, which contributes the remaining 20% of the final mark is through a written Mathematical exploration investigating an area of mathematics. 

NB – Students on this course are required to have a Casio CG50 calculator.

Future opportunities

The IBCP (International Baccalaureate Career-related Pathway) is globally recognised and accepted by universities around the world. Some competitive university courses ask for specific IB subjects to have been studied as part of the Baccalaureate programme of study. We recommend that you research current grade requirements for that subject on and filter for the International Baccalaureate. 

This course is designed for students with varied backgrounds and abilities. The course focuses on application and interpretation of statistics and would therefore be an appropriate course for students who are considering, for example, social science and biomedicine.

Further information

As with any level 3 qualification, there is an increased demand for students to work independently. Students, therefore, must expect to study outside of lesson time and will be expected to work for approximately five hours a week outside of lessons in order to complete the work to the required grades for most universities and higher apprenticeships.

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 15 June 2019
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: Two years
  • Course code: Mt
  • Number of planned places: 20