Leisure Studies AS & A Level at Durham Sixth Form Centre
This course considers how the leisure industry operates with an aim to encourage students to develop broad skills, knowledge and understanding of the leisure industry.
The course covers key issues such as:
- Customer service in the leisure industry
- Leisure industry practice
- Employment and human resources in leisure
- Current issues and developments in leisure
- Leisure in the outdoors
- Planning an event
- Learn how leisure organisations meet the needs of their customers and investigate ways in which such organisations can improve their customer service.
- Have the opportunity to plan and manage their own leisure event in the second year of study.
- There will be various opportunities to visit leisure organisations and to carry out practical research.
- Exploring Leisure - Portfolio
- Customer Service - Portfolio
- The Leisure industry in Practice – Exam topics include: Marketing , Health and Safety, Business Systems, Quality Systems and Finance (students will receive a pre released case study six weeks prior to the exam).
- Event Management - Portfolio
- Outdoor Leisure - Portfolio
- Human Resource Management – Exam topics include: Recruitment & Selection, Training and Development, Motivation, Human Resource Planning and Performance Management (students will receive a pre released case study six weeks prior to the exam).
It is not necessary to have a prior qualification in Leisure Studies, but it is important to have a real interest in the leisure industry
Assessment at both AS and A2-level is mainly through coursework, though there is one external exam each year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Durham Sixth Form Centre directly.