Beauty Level 2 Diploma at Truro and Penwith College
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a beauty specialist including: removing hair using waxing techniques; applying make-up; eyelash and eyebrow treatments; manicure and pedicure; facial skincare; nail art techniques; tanning; and fulfilling salon reception duties. The qualification’s structure provides you with the flexibility to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills as a beauty specialist.
Throughout this qualification you will develop your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology, health and safety, and client care. You will also develop a range of technical skills enabling you to prepare the skin and apply a variety of beauty therapy products using different techniques. You will also develop interpersonal skills that will assist you to communicate effectively with clients. This qualification also allows you to gather evidence in a realistic working environment or real working environment, without the need for fee paying clients.
This one year qualification is mainly a practical course using a variety of teaching methods including discussions, demonstrations and presentations. You will work on your own, in pairs and small groups practising techniques within a realistic working environment in brand new, well equipped, purpose built salons, overlooking the beautiful Mounts Bay and St Michaels Mount.
12 of our students have represented the College in the Cornish Skills Challenge and national World Skills competitions and to date have won 5 Gold medals, 4 Silver medals and 2 Bronze medals.
The basic requirement is four GCSEs at grade D and above. If you do not gain grade Cs in maths and English Language you will need to retake them, or a Functional Skill at College alongside your main course.
Your achievement in this qualification is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will study in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
1. Most of the assessment is completed through practical observations of skills and techniques and this will be carried out throughout all of your units, as you continuously strive to work towards a competent level within your treatments.
2. You will be assessed regularly on written theory work that may be conducted within the class or as a homework activity and feedback will be continuously provided on your progress. You also will be assessed regularly on treatment terminology.
3. Your performance will be reviewed during 1:1 sessions with your personal tutor.
4. Examinations will also be undertaken on each unit throughout your course.
Whilst this qualification's primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior beautician/beauty specialist, learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking Technical Level qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 3, these include:
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Massage Therapy
Upon successful completion of the course, you will gain a VRQ Level 2; a professional qualification awarded by VTCT who are the market leaders in beauty and holistic qualifications. This qualification will enable you to prepare for employment as a beauty specialist or progress onto a Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Massage or a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy General. Once qualified in Level 2 as a beauty specialist, there are many career opportunities you can enjoy, such as:
- Working in commercial beauty salons
- Salon/Spa manager
- Working in a retail concession in a department store
- Working independently in your own salon/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.