Fashion and Textiles A Level at Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr
- This course is designed so that candidates can experience textiles, art, craft and design thoroughly and comprehensively. The knowledge, understanding and skills will be enhanced by practical and theoretical components. Student’s ability to be creative, imaginative and to communicate in visual and social form should be challenged and extended.
- Possible areas os study include:-
3. Digitally or traditionally printed and/or dyed fabrics, garments and materials,
4. Interior Design,
5. Constructed textiles (knitted, woven, embellished or combined with other materials)
- The course is appropriate for students who have not taken an examination in this area of study, but the ability to record from direct observation and some skill in use of a sewing machine essential.
- The AS represents the first year of a two year A level qualification but it can be studied seperately.
AS Unit 1
Personal Creative Enquiry – Non – exam assessment 40% of qualification (160 marks)
An extended, exploratory portfolio and outcome/s based on themes and subject matter which are personal to the learner. The Enquiry must integrate critical, practical and theoretical work.
- This work will be assessed holistically, using the assessment objectives. Learners will be required to select, evaluate and present their work for assessment.
A2 Unit 2
Personal Investigation – Non-exam assessment 36% of qualification (160 marks)
Cosists of two integrated constituent parts:
1. A major in-depth critical, practical and theoretical investigation portfolio and outcome/s based on themes and subject matter that have personal significance.
2. An extended written element of 1000 words minimum, which may contain images and text and must clearly relate to practical and theoretical work using an appropriate working vocabulary and specialist terminology.
- Both the practical/theoretical work and the written element will be assessed together using the assessment objectives. Learners will be required to select, evaluate and present their work for assessment.
- The Personal Creative Enquiry and Personal Investigation will be determined by the learner and teacher, assessed by the teacher and externally moderated.
A2 Unit 3
Externally Set Assignment Non-exam assessment 24% of qualification (100 marks)
Part 1 : Preparatory study period
- The externally set assignment materials are to be released to learners from 1 February (in the second year of the course) and will consist of a series of visual and written stimuli.
- One of the stimuli is to be selected by the learner and used as a starting point from which to elect a personal response.
- Responses are developed during the preparatory study period. They should take the form of critical, practical and theoretical prepatory work/supporting studies which inform the resolution of ideas in the 15 hours sustained focus study.
Part 2: 15 hour period of sustained focus work
- The resolution of learners’ ideas from the preparatory work must be completed during the designated 15 hours and they must show their planning relates to the outcome/s.
- The period of sustained focus work must be complete under supervised conditions
Both the preparatory work and sustained focus work will be assessed together, using the assessment objectives. Learners will be required to select, evaluate and present their work for assessment.
The Externally Set Assignment will be set by WJEC, assessed by the teacher and externally moderated.
This course is suitable, but not exclusively for pupils who wish to pursue a career in the Textile field/industry. We encourage pupils to apply directly to persue degree courses at Universities. This is a course that offers both a creative and technological challenge for pupils. They will be expected to work regularly at home and within the Textile room to develop their skills and ideas. A great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction may be gained from the practical and creative work with an opportunity to exhibit the highlights of their efforts in the school at the end of the academic year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr directly.