Computer Science A level at Havering Sixth Form College
This course will develop your understanding of how computers work and how they are programmed. The focus will be on computational thinking, algorithms and computer programming skills. An avid interest in programming, logical thinking, problem solving and no fear of exams would be a real advantage in choosing this course.
Our world is dominated by computers; they are present in almost every aspect of what we do. This course will develop your understanding of how computers work and how they are programmed. This course will also enable you to develop your computer programming skills through completing practical tasks/activities in the AS year, building up to a project based on developing a solution to a real life problem in the second year. An avid interest in programming and problem solving would be a real advantage in choosing this course.
You can expect to:
- Develop and understand Computing terms and concepts
- Develop the expertise to analyse, design, program, test and document computer programs using Visual Basic
- Carry out the development of a computer application for a real client
- Study the organisation, structure of data and its transmission
- Learn about data security and the social and legal implications of Computing systems
One grade B and four grade Cs at GCSE, C Grade English GCSE, B Grade Maths GCSE, C Grade in GCSE ICT/Computing or equivalent qualification if taken Successful diagnostic test result.
Exam Board - OCR
20% Coursework, 80% Exam
You can apply for a degree course in Computer Science or ICT or there are a variety of career options in any area of industry or commerce.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Havering Sixth Form College directly.